In an effort to get more Kiwi drivers behind the wheel of an electric vehicle (EV), Mercury is piloting an innovative new drive-by-subscription service, in association with Snap Rentals. By moving away from how we traditionally own and run our vehicles, Mercury hopes to encourage more drivers to experience the benefits of EVs.
“There’s a generation of drivers out there who see car ownership as optional, and that’s an opportunity to give greater choice in how they get around,” says Mercury’s Chief Marketing Officer, Julia Jack.
6 great reasons to join Mercury’s EV subscription service
1. You can drive an EV from as little as $100 per week!
- For $100 per week, you can drive a Nissan LEAF Gen 1 with a 115km range and 35min fast charge (for a 6-month term). There is also a month-by-month subscription of $469 for this model.
- There are other vehicle upgrade options to choose from, including the Nissan LEAF Gen 2, VW E-Golf, Renault Zoe and BMW I3 and Tesla Model S.
- Choose between 1-month, 3-month or 6-month subscription options.
2. No other costs - it's all paid for!
- Drive an EV without the big upfront investment. That means no up-front vehicle purchase and you don’t have to worry about depreciation costs.
- Apart from the excess in the event of an accident claim, insurance, maintenance, roadside assistance, WOF and registration costs are all included.
- Snap Rentals' concierge service will even drop the car off and take you through everything you need to know about your EV.
3. Total flexibility - you can change your mind and your car any time you like
- Currently there are 6 EV brands to choose from, ranging from $399 per month up to $2,099 per month.
- You’re not tied into contracts. You can change your subscription service whenever it suits you, subject to availability, and you can stop your subscription when you reach the end of your chosen term.
4. Go green and help NZ reduce our carbon emissions
- Transport produces 45% of all NZ’s energy emissions*. Be part of the movement to help reduce national emissions by 30% by 2030.
- 80% of our country’s electricity generation is renewable. Go electric!
- It is a great environmental and economic advantage to free our country from dependence on foreign oil and fossil fuels.
5. Save money! EVs are cheap to run.
- Charging your EV can be as cheap as the equivalent of 30c per litre.
- Mercury has special residential off-peak electricity rate rates for overnight charging.
6. They're easy to re-charge so you're always good to go!
- Each vehicle comes with standard 3-pin charging cable, so charging your EV at home is no problem.
- If you need a top-up while you’re out and about, there are 500 charging stations throughout the country. There are fast-charge and slow-charge options at various rates.
Demand for Mercury Drive’s trial subscription service has been high. Go to www.evdrive.co.nz to register your interest for the next available EV model. You’ll love the experience, convenience and cost savings of driving electric.
* Source: Figures from MBIE New Zealand Energy Sector Greenhouse Gas Emissions - 2015
Main image credit courtesy of Power Compare